Sunday, November 12, 2006

Recovery set backs


Sitting indoors when you are used to riding 250+ miles a week is tough. Thank god for the Fox Soccer channel and Setanta Sports. Lying down is still a little rough so I spend most of the sleeping hours in a reclining chair.

After a CT scan last Tuesday, it was determined that fluid build up between my right lung and the chest wall needed to be drained off. On Thursday, a litre of fluid was drained. My breathing should have improved significantly after this procedure, but instead declined and I also developed chest pain.

Back to the hospital on Friday. It turns out that the draining procedure resulted in new perforation of my lung. The right lung now being 15% deflated as a result of this separate incident. I can truly do without the hospital inflicting new injuries; I seem to have managed to do that well enough on my own. The doctors had to decide between re-inserting a tube into the lung or just keeping a close eye over the next 24 hours. We elected for the latter. I returned home Friday afternoon and returned again for another chest x-ray on Saturday morning. The results indicate that things are stable. The lung had not deteriorated any further. Back for more chest x-rays on Monday.